Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Halloweenie TRACT

So this morning, I was listening to our local Christian radio station and their topic was "how to be a light on Halloween." They were oohing and aahhing over a local church that is doing "Halloweenie." Basically, they are grilling hot dogs and handing them out with a coke, a bag of candy and a TRACT.

I emphasize the word TRACT because everytime they said it on the radio that is what it felt like to my ears. TRACT. BAM. Here's your paper. Accept Jesus. Now. TRACT.

So it got me to thinking why that method of evangelism is so abrasive to me. The thought that came to me was, "yes. we can hand out tracts all day long, but can we not also SPEAK TO PEOPLE?!" Now, I know these church members aren't going to just stand there silently passing weenies and candy to kids, but as a culture we have lost the art of conversation (raising hand, guilty as charged).

Now, let me interject I was slightly perturbed at this TRACT handout fest. But then it got better. A guy called in and suggested the following:

" Why don't you hand out a coupon at Halloween that says something like "Come to our church on Sunday for your candy bag!" Then you could get them to church and they get candy."

This is where I almost drove off the road. Literally I was gawking at the radio in disbelief. So again, as I am prone to do these days, I reflected on why this made me more angry than Halloweenie.

It boils down to relationship.

If we truely have the relationship we are supposed to have with Christ, would we finally be able to put away the gimmicks for a true relationship with others? A relationship that says: "This is my Jesus, and I adore him. I want you to love him too because He died for you to have freedom. I know the freedom he has given me and I want it for you too. But, if you choose not to accept him, I hope that we can still be in relationship and I can show you some small part of him in the way I love you."

Here's my beef: I love my husband. Dave has loved me when I am grossly unlovable. When my sin would warrant his being angry for quite some time and reprecussions that would be undesired. He loves me through my sin, through my temper tantrums, through the times when I intentionally punch those buttons I know will piss him off; He loves me deeply.
And I love him. But we could never love each other with the depth that Christ loves us.

Now, I don't expect others to madly fall in love with Dave the first time they hear of him. I expect that something about his character will draw them to him and they will begin a friendship of some kind. As they get to know him more, the depth and intimacy of the relationship will grow. And that is awesome. But would I ever had someone a piece of paper outlining all the reasons why they should love Dave? Of course not.

If I wouldn't write down all of my husband's good points on a page and hand it out with candy, (even though I adore him and think he is the best husband on the planet) why would I do it with the most important person my friends, co workers and neighbors would ever meet?! Doesn't the Savior deserve a more proper introduction than that? Doesn't this person's salvation warrant at the very least a conversation with them about how much Jesus means to us?

Which brings me to my final point: I realized in the car today that perhaps Jesus doesn't mean as much to me as I'd like to believe. I am guilty of not being madly in love with Christ. In fact, I think I've spent most of my life being mad at him (for no good reason, mind you.) So, maybe as I work on my relationship with Christ, fall madly in love with him and his words begin to become mine, then introducing him to others will be easier without the tract. This is my story...this is My Jesus...and He wants to be yours too.

2 comments: