Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Epic Fail. Epic Truth.

Epic. Fail. I was appalled when I opened my blog page and saw that the last post I put up was May 9. Really, Jules? Over a month? Even when you know how much this silly act of putting pen to page feeds your soul?! For those who are immediately concerned that my soul is dry, I assure you it is not. I'm learning to maximize the little moments and stick to the schedule our home so efficiently runs around.

I think a large issue that plagues most moms, especially new moms like your truely, is the boring routine of the day to day. I think thats why we get so much joy from planning birthday parties, baby showers and meeting for coffee or a swim in the pool. A break. A break from the everyday.

I'm thankful for women like Sally Clarkson. In her book, Mission of Motherhood, I found myself staring back from the pages.

"The truth is, serving others in the ordinary moments of life is not something that comes easily to me. I'm the kind of person who tends to be attracted to the grand sweeping accomplishments in life. I am challenged by stories that offer great vision and depth of commitment. When it comes to motherhood, I like the idea of being a mom who inspires my children to great accomplishments...The everyday realities of running a household just don't have the same appeal.


But the humdrum activities, of course, comprise the majority of a mother's experience. Before I had children, I never realized this. I really had no clue that admiring a Beanie Baby's pen, taking a picture, finding a T-shirt, and helping to unlock a gas cap would be the kinds of sacrificial acts required of me most often while I attempted to fulfill the mission of motherhood."

Anybody out there resonating with me? Feel the vibes, sister-friends. I want GREATNESS in my life! (Can you see me? Arms outstretched at the top of some magnificent peak, overlooking grand mountain ranges shouting to all creation?)



Never mind that I would have probably stumbled by way to that mountain top in my old ratty T-shirt, with a Charlie horse and one of those awful “stitches in my side.” And of course I would carry with me my constant companion these days: a dried up smelly sour milk stain over my left shoulder and down my back.

Before I feel too sorry for myself that I will not be climbing any mountains anytime soon, Sally saves my outlook….

“I’ve come to appreciate the importance of the many thousands of routine moments in a mother’s life, for it is in these moments that real greatness tends to be taught and caught. It is certainly important to grasp the great calling of motherhood and respond to a vision for what a family can be. But it’s the way I respond to my children in everyday moments that gives me the best chance of winning their hearts.”

John 15:13: Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

Thanks for the redirect, Sally.

No comments:

Post a Comment