Sunday, February 20, 2011

All She Needs

She cries from the other room. It starts mellow. small. like her tiny frame, she whimpers. immediately my eyes dart from their current place to the pink framed LCD that encapsulates her entire self.

I see her.

I can hear even the tiniest sigh from her little lungs. I turn the volume all the way up so as to not miss a second of her need. 


The crying grows louder and my heart begins to pound. Do I run to her now or will she soothe herself? Should I make my presence known? Intervene? In one great rush of mighty rescue do I swoop in?

I am close. Never more than seconds away at all times.

Though, in her mind, she is alone. She is wet. hungry. cold. lonely. angry. She needs soothing and there is only one source. 

As my hands slide under her miniature back, andI lift her to my face, whispering soothing words of peace and comfort, she stills. I am near and that is all she needs.

To hear my voice, to smell my scent, to feel my touch, and to know that she is not alone, not abandoned.

She is loved.

And so are you. 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful hun. I love it and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the kind comments! I'm sure it happens to most moms but I was overcome one day with how closely my mothering mirrors the Fathers love for us. He is always near!

    ReplyDelete