Thursday, January 15, 2015

Reset and Repeat

Every night around here there is a routine. After we eat dinner, the hubs usually gets in the floor with all the little people and wrestles, flips and otherwise tosses them about. We put them to bed, and then finish the clean up for the day. It's a "reset" of this crazy space. All the toys back to the playroom, shoes, jackets and the random clothes tossed about head back to the kids room, dishes in the washer and the kitchen counters wiped down.

It used to make me angry. Silly, right? But it did. I would get so frustrated at the end of the long days. "I'm so tired. And they are just going to trash it again tomorrow. As soon as they wake up, crumbs will be back on the floor, toys will be everywhere....and then I'll just have to do it all over again. So what's the point?!" I confess some nights...okay most nights...the playroom just stays the tornado wreckage that it is.

Lately though I've begun to enjoy waking up to cleanliness. I like that I can walk in my kitchen in the morning and not be greeted with a sink full of to-do's.

Tonight as I was making the rounds. I thought to myself: Reset... and Repeat Tomorrow. My mind's eye started examining those words between the picking up of size 3 shoes and sippy cups. And He struck me with His truth.

Every night when heads hit pillows, it's a reset. And when His grace makes the sun rise and His mercies are new, it's a chance to repeat...or not. Every night I can rest soundly knowing that tomorrow His mercies will be new and I will have the opportunity to retry what I missed today. Or to repeat what I did that honored Him or to attack the parts of my personality I'd rather weren't there with the truth of who He says I am (remember that icky insecurity?!). His mercy is new every morning. Just like my kitchen sink is open and ready to receive the breakfast carnage, so my heart and mind can be ready to receive all that He is.

I'm so thankful that He speaks in the everyday. That in the midst of the mundane evening pickup, He is present, reminding me of His attentiveness, grace and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment