Sunday, January 10, 2016

Emma is THREE

Emma turns three years old today, and in honor of this occasion I thought it only fitting to give her a little blog face time.


                                       

Things you should know about Emma...

1. Her dad named her. We were having trouble coming up with a name, and Dave absolutely loved the sound of Emma Grace. After I threw out 10 billion other ideas...including Penelope and Ava and some really weird ones I can't even remember now, we both agreed that Emma was it. And I'm so glad we did.

2. Her birth plan required a re-working of normal C-section procedures. My previous birth was pretty tough, so when it came time for Emma's planned C-section, I stumbled upon a YouTube video called "The Natural Caesarean." My doctor was gracious to provide me his personal email address and together we agreed that we could talk to the hospital staff about implementing some of the ideas presented to make the birth experience more pleasant for me. So after months of back and forth emails and planning, the day came for Emma to arrive and everyone was on board with a change of workflow in the OR. They lowered the curtain so I could see her being pulled out of my belly and I immediately got to kiss her bloody, wet, vernix covered face. She was only out of my sight for about 20 minutes the first day of her birth and I loved every second of it.



3. She has renamed our family members. One day, a few months ago, E casually announced to me that she had a sister name Sally and a brother named John. She began referring to her siblings by these new names in everyday conversation. "Hey Sa-we, do you wike dis song?" At first, Norah...ahem...Sally didn't like this change and would protest to the utmost, but Emma, being relentless, wouldn't let up and eventually Sally came to terms with her new name. My favorite recollection of the use of these names was when the ladies of the house were headed out to party and Dave was to stay home with Hudson. As we were leaving, she shouted "DAAAAADDDD...be sure to keep an eye on John!!!" Her parents have also been renamed as Peter and Popcorny. I'll let you guess who is which. :-)

4. She is hilarious. And she doesn't even try to be. She doesn't intentionally try to be cute and funny. Some kids do things to be cute or get attention, not Emma. It's just part of her DNA. Her facial expressions, her ideas, her body movements...she is just hilarious. If she has ever looked at you with her confused face, you know exactly what I'm talking about.


She wandered out from nap time like this. I have no idea where she found the hat. 

5. She enjoys quiet time, flipping through books, alone. As long as Emma could walk, I would and do always find her alone somewhere flipping through a pile of books. Some of the stories she remembers and will verbalize them as she goes. Sometimes she will just make up the story if she can't remember what it's about. And sometimes she just flips and looks in complete silence. She loves to "read" and be read to, and is absolutely content in this space.
I'm sorry but do you see her crossed legs?! It's like she's in college studying for finals on the quad or something.





6. She has a fantastic memory. As is evidenced by her ability to remember the words to songs. Which leads me to......

7. She loves to sing. This video was recorded back in May 2015 when she was only 2 years 4 months old. Make sure you watch it because it encompasses numbers 7, 6 and 4 above. And it will make you smile and laugh and that will make your day better. (If the video below doesn't work, you can click HERE to view it online.)



8. She has been my only child to warrant a true emergency room visit (to date). And it wasn't even really her fault. He pinky toe was accidentally slammed in a door and partially amputated just before her second birthday. She got some stitches, lots of whatever she wanted for weeks, and handled it like a champ. All is well now, it doesn't even show a scar. I'll spare you the pictures though. :-)



Christmas Day 2015 dress up
9. She enjoys...dressing up and pretending to be a baby. She also loves it when Norah makes her a "bed" to sleep in. And she is my snuggler. This girl will snuggle like no other. My other children, do. not. do. the. snuggling.
I helped her put the dress on. The rest was alllllll her!!

                 
Playing "Baby" with big sis


















Norah built this "bed" out of my chair for them to watch a show from.












My only snuggle buddy! 



10. She has the most amazing hair on the planet. I left this one for last because if you've seen it (at least if you've seen it on a good day), you know it's the truth. It's nothing anyone can take credit for, but it is just more evidence of her awesomeness.
This is with no product people. Be jealous. She can take it.


My dearest Emma, you light up my life, girlfriend. From the way you tumble out of bed in the morning, bleary eyed, clutching that beloved white blanket and stumble down the hall to the way you jump all catty-wompas, legs flailing when you get excited. I am so blessed to be your mom. I cherish all the moments I get to just watch you exploring this big world and figuring out how you fit in it. I love watching your facial expressions as you figure out a problem and your smile and laugh when you solve it. Let's always put puzzles together, ok? You make me laugh and smile and your innocence is a beautiful thing. You are forever my favorite Emma (and I hope I am forever your favorite mama.) All my love beautiful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment