Friday, October 23, 2015

Commitment in the Rain

In May, Texas got more rain than any other month on record. It was a good thing too because it was followed by months of little to no rain. The rivers dropped, burn bans started popping up and kids were set loose to explore the great outdoors again.

It started raining again today. Flood like rains. Downpour. Traction Control light on my van freaking out like of rain. Part of me wanted to go stand in it. Let the drips and drops pelt my head cold, feel the water trickle down the little hairs on my arms. Another part of me was glad for our roof and glass panes of protection from the driving storms. 

I drove out to the farm of a friend of ours. They have 4000+ chickens on any given day, along with cattle, pigs, turkeys, and various other animals. During those flood days back in May, they were so flooded out, the farm was wrecked. 300+ pound pigs were rootin' all over the place because of downed fences and wreaking havoc everywhere they went. It was a mess. And today, as I drove up the gravel road, tires creating water walls like Moses standing at the edge of the Red Sea, I was reminded of those days. 

I thought of our friend and the rain he had to willingly step out into this morning. He and his workers in mud boots and hooded jackets, in and out of the torrential pourings without option. Without option not because he really didn't have one. But without option because he had made a commitment. Commitments to his family to provide, his animals to care, shield and protect them, and to the hundreds of families his farm feeds every month. Once made, commitments are no longer options. 

I am guilty of making a commitment and then not keeping it. From the smallest things like not drinking a 5th cup of coffee that day to forgetting an appointment to breaking the vows I set on my wedding day to cherish, always love and always sacrifice for. I know that to be born is to be set up to forget, fail and otherwise stumble. It's the nature of this broken world.

But our society has gone the way of commitment ineptitude. We find someone who actually does what they say they will and we are baffled by their astounding character. We stand in awe of someone showing up on time to serve in a church week after week after week. In our small town, to find a contractor who will show up to quote a job is an amazing feat. And to have them actually complete the job they quoted, is downright unbelievable. Yet, for those who are men of their word, they are promised to see job after job after job roll in. People want to work with those who are committed and follow through.

I don't know exactly what prompted all this rambling except that I hope by diligence and doing the hard work, I can raise children who do what they say. I hope that when their generation grows up and becomes the farmers, contractors and church volunteers of the world, that my kids stand out, not necessarily for their intelligence or wit, but because they are men and women of their word.  I pray that I can raise them to look out the window, see the rain and jerk on the mud boots with a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment