Monday, November 9, 2009

Overlooked

Do you ever feel overlooked? Here you are in the middle of a story about something you did, said, or experienced, and something you said apparently triggered a story for your supposed listeners and there you are suddenly drowned out by another's more important thoughts or feelings.
And something in you wants to rise up when they are finished and say something totally obnoxious..."so...ANYWAY...back to what I was saying..." But the proprietary nature you were brought up to embrace with such intensity begs to differ with your egocentric thought processes. And so you sit quietly honoring those in your midst.

I have felt this way many times in life. But as of late, it seems to be coming with more frequency. I am beginning to retreat in some settings into a safe shell of not speaking until spoken to. And when spoken to, I speak with clarity, brevity and fact. No time for emotion, just get the facts out so as to not face the awkwardness of interruption.

I question my pride in it all. Is it pride that wants to fight back for my place in the conversation, like the nine year old who can't wait to get to the grown up table at Thanksgiving dinner. Or a longing to belong? To be noticed? And if it is the latter, it is healthy? Or could it simply be the desire to be respected? Just honor the fact that I am speaking and don't be rude and interrupt. Enjoy my company enough to be interested in what I have to say.

I'm sure everyone has faced this irritation at one time or another. I am certain I have been the interrupter on many occasions. So I'm not really sure why I'm writing about except that it was heavy in my spirit and I needed to get it out. Thanks for bearing with me in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment